Monday, February 19, 2007

The conflated relationship between visibility and tolerance.

This article appeared in the New York Times today.

I think it is interesting that this is just now being addressed given the increase in gay and lesbian media representation in the last ten years. Remember when "lesbian chic" was supposed to usher in a new era of tolerance? Metrosexuals anyone?

Would people still watch gay people on television if it portrayed what actually demarcated gay from straight?

Oh and I will not eat Snickers anymore. Who greenlighted such homophobic and sexist advertising?

1 Comments:

At 7:15 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I'll tolerate intolerance as long as it's delicious. If it was anyone other than the most stupendously stupendous candy bar in the history of American Flavor I'd be a little more up in arms, but I mean, it's Snickers. What am I supposed to do?

I'm more appalled at how vigorously unfunny it was, quite frankly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home